Western Maritime Institute was established to provide marine training in urban and rural locations throughout British Columbia and Canada to meet the accreditation training standards established by Transport Canada and Industry Canada for the fishing, commercial and recreational marine industry.
Accelerated Transport Canada-Accredited Marine Training
Did you know that you can complete a Master, 150 Gross Tons at Western Maritime Institute in 19 weeks from start to finish? We understand that taking time off work to attend school can seem difficult when family, financial, and career progression concerns are taken into consideration. That’s why we run an 8-hour school day from Monday to Friday and offer our Certificate of Competency courses back to back to ensure that our students finish school faster, get back to work faster, and start earning sooner.
On campus or anywhere in Canada
With campuses located in Ladysmith and Richmond, B.C., as well as the ability to bring the classroom to communities all over Canada, WMI is greatly accessible to seafarers. Our fully-equipped Ladysmith campus includes fire-fighting and survival craft training simulators, making it one of only two campuses in Western Canada to include these facilities.
Instructors with decades of marine experience
Our instructors are a mix of foreign-going Masters and Masters with B.C. coastal experience all with years of industry experience. They are individually accredited by Transport Canada for the courses they teach and hold approved Provincial teaching credentials.
Training Today and Tomorrow’s Deckhands, Mates, and Masters
Our graduates can be found working at a wide variety of marine employers from BC Ferries, to the Canadian Coast Guard, Seaspan, tug and barge companies and within the fishing industry.
- Founded: 2000
- Ladysmith/Nanaimo, B.C.
- Richmond, B.C. (Steveston Port Authority)
- Transport Canada
- Private Training Training Institutions Branch of the Ministry of Education; registration number 3662
- British Columbia Education Quality Assurance
- Det Norske Veritas – Germanischer Lloyd (DNV GL) – Standard for Certification of Maritime Academies
- Average Yearly Enrollment: 600 students
- Alumni: Over 8000
- Average Class Size: 14
- Certificates of Competency: 13
- Accredited Courses: 46
Helpful Links to Other Maritime Information
- Transport Canada – Transports Canada
- Transport Publications Index Marine Safety
- Acts, Regulations and Publications
Financial Assistance for Course Fees:
- North Island Employment Foundation Society – Port Hardy
- North Island Employment Foundation Society – Campbell River
- North Island Employment Foundation Society – Courtenay