Western Maritime Institute’s Chartwork & Pilotage Level 1 course provides students with the knowledge required to plan and conduct safe navigation, understand make use of various navigation-related publications, determine the ship’s position, and keep a log book and record of errors.
The following topics are covered:
- Knowledge of principles of construction of the different types of charts and their use;
- Thorough knowledge of and ability to use publications;
- Keeping a Log Book and a record of Compass Errors;
- Ability to determine the ship’s position by using:
- Aids to Navigation, including Lighthouses, Beacons and Buoys;
- Dead Reckoning, taking into account Winds, Tides, Currents and Estimated Speed;
Course Prerequisite: The student must be at least 16-years of age to enrol in this course.