The Holder of the Watchkeeping Mate, Near Coastal Certificate may act as:
- Chief Mate on board a vessel of not more than 3,000 gross tonnage engaged on a near coastal voyage; and
- Chief Mate on board a vessel of any tonnage engaged on a sheltered waters voyage.
An Applicant for a Watchkeeping Mate, Near Coastal Certificate of Competency shall be at least 18 years of age on the day on which they receive the Certificate and meet the following requirements:
- After having reached 16 years of age, acquire the following sea service performing deck duties on board one or more vessels of at least 25 gross tonnage while the vessels are engaged on voyages other than sheltered water voyages;
- at least 36 months, including 6 months performing bridgewatching duties under the supervision of a qualified deck officer; or
- at least 24 months from an approved program of on-board training; or
- at least 12 months from an approved cadet training program in navigation.
- Provide the following Certificates to the Examiner.
- Marine Emergency Duties with respect to STCW Basic Safety Training Certificate;
- Marine Emergency Duties with Respect to Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats Training Certificate;
- Marine Emergency Duties in Advanced Fire Fighting Training Certificate;
- GMDSS Radio Operator Certificate - Marine Commercial;
- Simulated Electronic Navigation, Level 1A Training Certificate and
Simulated Electronic Navigation, Level 1B Training Certificate;
- Electronic Chart Display and Information Sysem (ECDIS) Training Certificate;
- Marine Advanced First Aid; and
- A steering testimonial attesting to the applicant's ability to steer.
- Pass the following examinations:
- Communications, Level 1;
- Communications, Level 2;
- Chartwork and Pilotage, Level 2;
- Meteorology, Level 1;
- Ship Construction and Stability, Level 4;
- Cargo, Level 2;
- General Ship Knowledge, Level 3;
- SIM I, after obtaining the certificate referred to in paragraph 2(e);
- Navigation Safety, Level 1; and
- Oral examination on General Seamanship, after meeting the other requirements above.
View Courses in Program:Advanced FirefightingCargo, Level 2Chartwork and Pilotage, Level 2Communications, Level 1Communications, Level 2Electronic Chart Display and Information SystemGeneral Ship Knowledge, Level 3GMDSS Restricted Operator Certificate - MC Marine Advanced First AidMeteorology, Level 1Navigation Safety, Level 1Oral Examination PreparationProficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue BoatsShip Construction and Stability, Level 4Simulated Electronic Navigation, Level 1 Part A Simulated Electronic Navigation, Level 1 Part BSTCW Basic Safety