The Fishing Master Third Class Certificate of Competency holder may act as Master of a Fishing Vessel of any tonnage engaged on a Near Coastal or Sheltered Waters voyage and as Officer in Charge of a Watch of a Fishing Vessel of any tonnage engaged on an Unlimited Voyage.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age on the day on which they receive the Fishing Master Third Class Certificate of Competency and after having reached 16 years of age, acquire the following sea service performing deck duties on one or more vessels of at least 25 gross tonnage while the vessels are engaged on voyages other than Sheltered Waters Voyages:
- At least 24 months, which may include up to 12 months from an approved training course, if the applicant has successfully completed that course; or
- At least 12 months while holding a Fishing Master, Fourth Class Certificate.
Candidates must provide the following Certificates to the Examiner:
- Marine Emergency Duties with Respect to Basic Safety (MED A1) Training Certificate;
- GMDSS Radio Operator Certificate – Marine Commercial;
- Simulated Electronic Navigation, Limited Training Certificate; and
- Marine Advanced First Aid.
Candidates must pass the following Examinations: