For those who have been wondering about MEDs refresher training courses, this week, Transport Canada released a new Ship Safety Bulletin regarding steps to be taken by seafarers and vessel owners to ensure the requirements of the 2010 STCW Manila Amendments are met before January 1, 2017. The Bulletin covers the process of renewing Certificates of Competency and Endorsements before the December 31, 2016 expiry date and includes details on when MED refreshers will be required.
Please read the bulletin in detail and take the necessary steps to make sure you and/or your crew are compliant.
MED Refresher Courses at WMI
Western Maritime Institute is in the process of getting Transport Canada’s approval of our MEDs Refresher Training courses and anticipate we will be offering the following courses by Fall 2016:
- MED STCW Basic Safety Training Refresher
- MED STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boat other than Fast Rescue Boat Refresher
- MED STCW Advanced Firefighting Refresher
We plan to offer:
- Basic Safety Training + Survival Craft + Advanced Firefighting (4 days)
- Basic Safety Training + Survival Craft (3 days)
- Basic Safety Training alone (2 days)
- Survival Craft alone (2 days)
- Advanced Firefighting alone (2 days)
Please contact our Campus Manager, Buki Hough or our Admissions Advisor, Brittany Brouwer if you wish to be placed on the MEDs Refresher Training interest list or have a group of crew members you wish to train.