Western Maritime Institute’s Cargo Level 2 course provides students with knowledge required to monitor loading, stowage, securing, and unloading of cargo. Students also gain knowledge of the effect of cargo including heavy lifts on the seaworthiness and stability of a vessel. Students are prepared to write a Transport Canada approved exam at Western Maritime Institute at the end of the course.
Cargo Level 2 is required for Watchkeeping Mate, Near Coastal.
The course consists of the following topics:
- Knowledge of the effect of cargo including heavy lifts on the seaworthiness and stability of the ship;
- Knowledge of safe handling, stowage and securing of cargoes including dangerous, hazardous and harmful cargoes and their effect on the safety of life and of the ship;
- Ability to establish and maintain Effective Communications during loading and unloading;
- Basic knowledge of the content and application of the International Convention for the Safety of Life at Sea (SOLAS), 1974
- Chapter VI – Carriage of Cargoes
- Chapter VII – Carriage of Dangerous Goods;
- Chapter XII – Additional Safety Measures for Bulk Carriers.
The student must be at least 16 years old to enroll in this course.