The holder of the Fishing Master 4 Certificate of Competency may act as Master on board a Fishing Vessel of not more than 100 gross tonnage engaged on a Near Coastal or Sheltered Waters Voyage and as Officer in Charge of the Watch of a Fishing Vessel of any tonnage engaged on Near Coastal and Sheltered Waters Voyages.
Candidates must be at least 18 years of age on the day on which they receive the Fishing Master, Fourth Class Certificate of Competency and acquire the following sea service:
- After having reached 16 years of age, acquire at least 12 months sea service performing deck duties on one or more vessels that are 6 metres or more in length; or
- 15 years of age, for at least 12 months sea service acquired on fishing vessels that are 6 metres or more in length.
Candidates must provide the following certificates to the Examiner:
- Marine Emergency Duties with Respect to Basic Safety (MED A1) Training Certificate;
- GMDSS Radio Operator Certificate – Marine Commercial Training Certificate;
- Simulated Electronic Navigation, Limited Training Certificate; and
- Marine Advanced First Aid.
The Fishing Master 4 Certificate candidate must pass the following Examinations:
- Ship Construction and Stability, Level 1;
- Chartwork and Pilotage, Level 1;
- Navigation Safety, Level 1 and Orals Preparation; and
- An oral examination on General Seamanship, after meeting all the requirements above.
This program does not require approval by the Private Training Institution Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training. As such, PTIB did not review this program.