The Hospitality Specialization Certificate program offers students a certificate in specialization, offering a streamlined training focusing on the area of hospitality operations and management. The program focuses the fundamentals of Hospitality Services. This program is in partnership with the American Hotel and Lodging Association (AHLA). The program focuses on teaching students the current practices and trends in today’s hospitality industry including managing front office operations, security and loss prevention management, supervision in the hospitality industry, managing technology, and managing housekeeping operations.
Want to learn more? Join us for an info session every Wednesday morning at 10:00 AM! Simply email firstname.lastname@example.org for an invitation.
Next intake: Monday, November 1st 2021
Certification upon Successful Completion
- Hospitality Specialization Certificate from Western Maritime Institute
- Course Certificates from AHLEI
- 5-Course Certificate of Specialization in Rooms Division Management from AHLEI
*Students must achieve 70% or higher on all the AHLEI core course exams to receive any applicable AHLEI certification.
HPM250: Supervision in the Hospitality Industry
This course teaches the skills students need to develop effective supervision and management skills that are essential to success in the industry. Topics include how to recruit, select, and train; increase productivity; control labor costs; communicate effectively; manage conflict and change; and use time management techniques.
HPM333: Managing Front Office Operations
This course teaches students how to manage front office operations to increase efficiency and help sales grow. Topics include revenue management and the latest technology applications. This course shows how front office activities and functions affect other departments and focuses on how to manage the front office to ensure your property’s goals are met.
HPM338: Managing Housekeeping Operations
This course teaches students how to run efficient housekeeping operations. Students will learn what it takes to manage this important department. This course provides a thorough overview, from the big picture of hiring and retaining a quality staff, planning, and organizing, to the technical details for cleaning each area of the hotel.
HPM468: Managing Technology in the Hospitality Industry
Managing Technology in the Hospitality Industry provides a solid grounding in hospitality technology and the management of information systems. This course focuses on the applications for all functional areas, including reservations, rooms, food and beverage, sales and event management, and accounting. Students will learn the basics of purchasing, implementing, maintaining, and managing today’s information systems. This course also explores systems security and maintenance, e-commerce, and hospitality careers in information technology
HPM387: Security and Loss Prevention Management
Security and Loss Prevention Management teaches students about the security issues and practices that affect the hospitality industry. Topics include the physical security of the property, asset protection, guest protection, security equipment, emergency management and procedures, OSA requirements, and more.
Upon successful completion of this course, students will have reliably demonstrated the ability to:
- Explain the importance of a comprehensive approach to risk management and outline the business case for managing risk.
- List hotel security requirements and discuss how lodging safety and security considerations have changed over the years.
- Describe the American legal system and define basic legal terms.
- Summarize the meaning of reasonable care, describe how a hotel’s duty to exercise reasonable care may not be delegated, and cite cases illustrating the reasonable care rule.
- Explain the key issues in developing and setting up a security program, including liaison with law enforcement and security staffing.
- Identify the elements of security training that are critical to an effective security program.
- Explain how effective access control is achieved through surveillance and security patrols.
- Identify slip, trip, and fall risks posed on hotel premises, and explain what hotels can do to minimize them.
- Describe fire safety risks in hotels and the various measures and equipment hotels use to address these risks.
- Explain safety risks and concerns pertaining to hotel water systems, including water potability, hot water temperatures
- Discuss losses that affect all departments, including losses due to employee theft, and describe security considerations faced by the human resources department.
- Discuss security issues within the engineering department and the rooms division.
- Summarize the business case for employee safety.
- Describe control procedures and physical protection for the accounting function.
- Summarize hotel cashiering procedures and credit policies and procedures.
- Describe the role of an emergency management plan.
- Demonstrate knowledge of safety and security measures for responding appropriately to a variety of emergency situations, including bombs and bomb threats, fires, hurricanes and typhoons, tornadoes, floods, earthquakes, and tsunamis.
- List and describe the types of coverage found in commercial package policies and in additional types of coverage available to lodging properties.
WMI100: Job Readiness
This course provides a comprehensive overview of the strategic job search process. Students will be able to clarify their career goals, write the resume and cover letter; develop interview skills, gain job search techniques, and show their strength and professionalism to the prospective employers by end of the course.
- High school diploma (or equivalent)
- Or mature student status
English Language proficiency requirements:
- Domestic Students: Grade 10 English or pass college English admission test
- International Students: IELTS 6.0 proof (or equivalent) or pass college English admission test.
Housekeeping Attendant, Front Desk Attendant, Guest Services
Customer Service, Front Office Manager, Housekeeping Manager
Contact Us for More Info!