Marine Emergency Duties Overview
NOTE: All Non-Passengers on board a Commercial Vessel must, prior to acquiring a total of 6 months sea service, a valid Marine Emergency Duties certificate.
The goals of Marine Emergency Duties training are:
- To meet mandatory minimum requirements for familiarization, basic safety training and instruction for all seafarers, training in advanced firefighting for Seafarers designated to control firefighting operations, and knowledge of how to launch and take charge of a survival craft in emergency situations.
- To provide seafarers with an understanding of the hazards associated with the marine environment and with their vessel.
- To provide, through approved shore-based courses, training in the skills which seafarers require to cope with such hazards, to an extent appropriate to their functions on board.
** WMI is one of only two campuses in Western Canada that offer the STCW Marine Emergency Duties. **
Domestic and STCW Marine Emergency Duties
In Canada, there are two streams of Marine Emergency Duties:
- Training for the crews of small domestic vessels and applicants for Certificates of Competency not subject to the Standards of Training, Certification, and Watchkeeping (STCW 2010) Convention, and
- Training which is fully compliant with the STCW 2010 Convention, intended for the crews of large vessels and applicants for Certificates of Competency subject to the STCW 2010 Convention.
Marine Emergency Duties courses are:
- MEDs not subject to the STCW Convention: (Domestic Requirements)
- MEDs subject to the STCW 2010 Convention: (International Requirements)
- MED STCW Basic Safety Training (MED A1 + MED B2)
- MED STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft and Rescue Boats other than Fast Rescue Boats (MED B1)
- MED STCW Marine Advanced Firefighting (MED B2 + MED C)
- MED STCW Refreshers subject to 2010 STCW Manila Amendment:
- MED STCW Basic Safety Training + Proficiency in Survival Craft + Advanced Firefighting Refresher
- MED STCW Basic Safety Training + Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher
- MED STCW Basic Safety Training Refresher
- MED STCW Proficiency in Survival Craft Refresher
- MED STCW Advanced Firefighting Refresher
The MED courses do not require approval by the Private Training Institution Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training. As such, PTIB did not review these courses.