Small Vessel Operator Proficiency

Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Overview

All commercially registered vessels operating in Canada are required by Transport Canada to carry a licensed Master or Skipper. The Small Vessel Operator Proficiency certificate is required to operate the following small commercial vessels:

  1. Passenger-carrying vessels that carry less than 12 passengers, are 5 gross tons or less, and operate in Near Coastal 2 or Sheltered waters.
  2. Work boats such as water taxis, cargo boats, sport-fishing boats, charter boats, crew boats, and whale-watching boats that are 5 gross tons or less and operate in Near Coast 2 and Sheltered waters.
  3. Commercial fishing vessels that are 15 gross tons or less and operate in Near Coastal 2 and Sheltered waters.

Transport Canada Accredited Small Vessel Operator Proficiency Courses

* The Restricted Operator Certificate – Marine certificate is required for mariners operating a VHF-equipped vessel in Near Coastal 2 and Sheltered waters
** One crew member on the small commercial vessel is required to hold a valid marine first aid certificate.

Training Anywhere in Canada!

We believe location should never stand in the way of meeting marine training needs. That’s why we’ll bring the classroom to our clients at their location. Our instructors can be found teaching all over Canada including remote communities – we’ve crossed the MacKenzie River on the ice roads to train mariners located in Inuvik, NT; trust us when we say “if you can’t come to us, we’ll come to you”. Contact us today at 1-866-632-6888 to set up a contract group training course.

This program does not require approval by the Private Training Institution Branch (PTIB) of the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills & Training. As such, PTIB did not review this program.