The Marine Basic First Aid at Western Maritime Institute is a comprehensive two-day course designed to help students understand and apply first aid in the event of an accident or illness aboard. It employs a combination of lecture, discussion, and scenarios from the marine industry to foster understanding of first aid principles as well as safety information specific to the marine environment.
Topics covered include:
- Assess needs of casualties and threats to own safety and take immediate action upon encountering an accident or other emergencies.
- Appreciate the body structure and functions.
- Describe the correct procedure for positioning casualties.
- Recognize the signs and hazards of unconsciousness and respiratory emergencies.
- Recognize the necessity of immediate resuscitation in appropriate emergency situations.
- Control bleeding and use dressings, bandages, and slings in first aid procedures.
- Apply appropriate measures of basic shock management.
- Apply appropriate measures in event of heat, electric, chemical and radiation burns.
- Rescue and transport a casualty
Course Duration: 16 hours
Click here for course schedule and registration