Western Maritime Institute’s Meteorology Level 1 course provides students with the knowledge needed to use and interpret information from a vessel’s meteorological instruments. Students learn about various weather systems, reporting procedures, and recording systems. The Meteorology, Level 1 Course prepares students to write a Transport Canada approved exam at Western Maritime Institute.
Meteorology Level 1 is required for:
Master 150GT, Domestic
Watchkeeping Mate, Near Coastal
Master 500GT, Domestic
The course covers the following topics:
- Ability to use and interpret information obtained from shipborne meteorological instruments;
- Knowledge of the characteristics of the various weather systems, reporting procedures and recording system;
- The atmosphere, its composition and physical properties;
- Atmospheric pressure;
- Cloud and precipitation;
- The wind and pressure systems over the oceans;
- Structure of depressions;
- Anticylones and other pressure system;
- Weather services for shipping;
- Recording and reporting weather observations.
- Ability to apply meteorological information to forecast weather.
The student must be at least 16 years of age to enroll in this course.