The purpose of this course is to provide students with working knowledge of navigating a vessel by terrestial and celestial methods when working on energized electrical equipment.
Students will learn to plan passages and determine ship’s position by Celestial Bodies, Parallel Plane, Mercator and Great Circle sailing.It also highlights the theory and practice of sextant. This course is for students working towards their Watch keeping Mate Unlimited Certificate of Competency.
Upon completion of this course, the successful student will have reliably demonstrated:
- knowledge of basic nautical astronomy
- ability to use celestial bodies to determine ship’s position
- ability to determine the position and accuracy of resultant position fix by any means
- ability to determine ship’s position by parallel, plane and Mercator sailing
- ability to navigate in high latitudes
- ability to determine ship’s position by great circle sailing
Student must be at least 18 years of age