Master Limited under 60GT
A Master or Captain of a vessel is in charge of a vessel, its crew members, and passengers and/or cargo while the vessel is at sea or in the port. The Master controls and manages all aspects of the vessel’s operation and his/her responsibilities include:
- Ensuring the safe operation of the vessel at all times
- Ensuring the vessel complies with local and international law
- Ensuring the safety of all personnel on board
- Ensuring the safe carriage of cargo or tow
- Preparing voyage plans and recording all the vessel’s activities
Your Master Limited (under 60GT) Certificate of Competency will be limited to a named vessel (or sister vessels within a fleet), vessel type, gross tonnage and area of operation.
Accredited Marine Certification
At Western Maritime Institute, we know how important it is for you to complete your studies in as short a period as possible. That’s why we run longer class days and offer our class back-to-back where possible, which means you’ll finish school faster, get back to work faster, and start the next stage of your career earlier!
After successfully completing the courses at WMI and Transport Canada oral exam, you can act as:
- Master on any vessel of less than 60 gross tonnage of a type, tonnage, area and period of operation specified on the certificate engages on a Near Coastal, Class 2 or Sheltered waters voyage(s).
Sea Time Requirements for Master Limited (under 60GT)
An applicant for the Master Limited (60GT) Certificate of Competency must be at least 18 years old on the day he/she receives the certificate and must have acquired, after the age of 16, 2 months of sea time performing deck duties on vessel(s) of at least the same gross tonnage to the one for which he/she is seeking the certificate.
Transport Canada-Accredited Master Limited (under 60GT) Courses
Western Maritime Institute’s Master Limited Certificate of Competency is made up of the following courses:
- MED Domestic Vessel Safety (Former MED A1/A2)
- Restricted Operator Certificate – Marine Commercial
- Marine Basic First Aid
- Chartwork and Pilotage, Level 1
- Navigation Safety, Level 1
Students will then need to pass a Transport Canada oral exam on subject-matter appropriate to the area of operation and the vessel type and gross tonnage, to which the certificate relates.
Career Opportunities for 60GT Limited Masters
As an aging workforce retires, there are numerous opportunities being created in this field, making this an ideal time to take the next step in your seafaring career. Western Maritime Institute’s Master, Limited (60GT) Certificate grads are now employed as Mates and Masters with:
Take your marine career to the next level by registering for accelerated Master Limited courses today!